From Pre-historic wall drawings to 1950s Memorabilia
There is no shortage of historic landmarks in Exeter, but you’re going to have finding them hasn’t always been easy. Thankfully, wonderful people have recognized the treasures of our past and erected way marks and landmark signs to signify an area’s importance.
Hogwallow Preserve – 1.5 million years old
Also known as mima mounds , Hogwallows used to cover thousands of acres in the area but now just 10 acres remain.
The Hogwallows in this preserve are about 1.5 million years old. Located on Ave. 314 west of Rd. 220, this plaque was donated by Carol Buckman and her father, Phillip E. Buckman MD.
Rocky Hill Archaeological Preserve – Pre-historic
Cave dwellings in Rocky Hill hold pictographs of bears, condors, and coyotes painted using materials native to the area such as hematite, magnetite and graphite.
In an effort to preserve the site, the public is not permitted without guides. Archaeological tours are sometimes coordinated and done under the guidance of the Yokuts. For more information about Rocky Hill, please visit The Archaeological Conservancy website (http://www.archaeologicalconservancy.org). The Southern Sierra Archaeological Society (PO Box 1973, Visalia CA 93279, 559-781-8842)
1854-1913-San Joaquin Roller Mill
One of the first four roller mills in California it produced much of the flour used by the early settlers. The historical marker is located at the intersection of County Road 182 and Drive 182 on County Road 182. Location. 36° 19.617′ N, 119° 9.987′ W. Marker is in Exeter, California, in Tulare County. For more information, visit this website. The marker was put up in 1978 by Dr. Samuel Gregg George Chapter 1855, E Clampus Vitus.
1861 – Jordan Trail Marker
When gold was discovered in the Coso Range on the east side of Owens Valley, there was a need of a short route to the supply town of Visalia. John Jordan, who had settled in the lower Yokohl Valley in 1861, petitioned the Tulare County Board of Supervisors for the right to build a toll trail across the Sierra. The marker is at the side of the Yokohl Road, near the intersection with Highway 198. Rocky Hill Inc. granted an easement for placing the monument.
This monument was dedicated by the Jordan Family on April 17, 1971 at the location where Yokohl Creek crosses Highway 198, five miles northeast of Exeter. This site marks the beginning of the Jordan Trail that was started by John Jordan in 1861.
1880s – Gill Cattle Company
The brothers Fred and Will Gill form a partnership to become the largest cattle company in the United States. Cattle ranching grew at the beginning of the 20th century, led by the Gill Cattle Company, which opened in the late 1800s and was once the largest such business in the United States
22386 E Myer Dr, Exeter, CA 932211881-Hitching Post
Exeter residents Bobby and Lisa Lentz graciously donated a hitching post made at the Rocky Point Granite Works (one of the first businesses in Exeter which formed in 1881) and placed it in front of the building on B Street.
The hitching post was removed from the family property on Firebaugh Street, south of town. This post is one of only four known to still exist in Exeter, a reminder of the town’s 19th century history.
The installation will soon include a plaque commemorating this gift to the museum, with an inscription reading, “In Loving Memory of Betty Sprague, long time Exeter resident. 2017. Donated by: Bobby and Lisa Lentz.”
The next time you visit the gallery and museum, stop and look at this great example of historic Exeter still serving the community. You are welcome to tie your horse to the post – but carefully. 1896 – Sales from Granite was $215,883.
1908 – Visalia Electric Railroad substation
The Marker “Visalia Electric R/R, Stanley Cosart NGH #10” was erected 1984. It is located near the Railroad Tracks South of Exeter Veteran’s Memorial Building, Exeter, CA
1911 – Exeter Water Tower
The date 1911 Exeter was painted is painted on the tower
1913 – Exeter Courthouse Gallery and Historical Museum
The building that now houses the Exeter Courthouse Gallery and Historical Museum was first called the Mt. Whitney Power substation. The building had many uses over the years: a nursing school, a civil defense center during the Cold War, a hospital training facility in the 1950s and the Exeter Police Department Headquarters in the 1970s, and on June 1, 2009 it became the beautiful museum and art gallery.
1916: Carnegie Community Building
The City of Exeter secured a $5000.00 Carnegie Grant in 1914 and the library opened in 1916. It was designed by A. Merrill Bowser in the Mission Revival style of architecture. The building served a library from 1916 until 1975 when a new library was constructed a few hundred feet north east of the building. The library is currently used as a senior center. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
The building is located at 309 South E Street, Exeter, CA USA 93221. It was added to National Register of Historic Places in 1990
In Exeter, no library existed until 1910 when the Exeter Women’s Club, campaigned for a State Library “deposit station.” A few months later Tulare County established its county library system and Exeter became a branch. With county support, Exeter applied for Carnegie funding and received $5000 in 1914, but Carnegie aide James Bertram and the city engaged in long and testy debate about plans, site, and choice of architect before funds were forthcoming. Eventually A. Merrill Bowser designed the building which combines Mission Revival and Classic elements. When a new library was built nearby in the park, the old library became a meeting hall for clubs and groups, and a senior dining center. Current Use of Building: Senior Center
Located at 201 Kaweah Ave, Exeter, CA 93221
1933 City Hall/Fire Station
The City Hall of Exeter, California was constructed in 1933. It shares quarters with the Exeter Fire Department which is housed in the north end of the building – the building replaced the city’s original fire station. The City Hall has a rustic red brick appearance with open eave-red tile roof, multi-paned windows with awnings. The building was erected by the Public Works Administration for a total of $8000.00.
Architect: Ernest Kump
circa 1938-1950s-Barber Shop Poles:
Nothing says old school like this Barber Shop Pole located at Terry’s Barber Shop, 114 N E St, Exeter, CA 93221. They are rare, even though the William Marvy Company is still producing them.